Monday, August 11, 2008

WHERE IS DALIA?!?!?!

The question of the hour in Korea is "Where is Dalia?" Why is the question being asked??? Well because I was supposed to be back in Korea and ready to start work August 1st, and well, its August 11th and I'm writing this all the way from my sister's room (because I don't have a room in my parent's house) in Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA.

So why am I still here and not there? Well here it goes, the whole once upon a time style saga.

So I arrived in Canada Saturday June 28th. My first step to getting my visa application started was getting the police record check. So after some research I decided that my fasted course of action was a private company in Hamilton. The man was very pleasant and assured me that I would have my police check in about 7 days. And true to his word I had all my papers ready to go. Next, I made an appointment with a lawyer to get a copy of the police check notarized. I then drove to the Korean Consulate in Toronto. Apparently I didn't have everything they needed BUT after 6 hrs a couple trips back and forth from a lawyer in Toronto and some fighting words with the Consulate officer they finally stamped my documents.

The next day first thing I sent everything off to Lynn. She received the documents and sent me back my Visa Issuance number a few days later. I then gathered all my documents and sent off my visa application. It arrived in Toronto a day and a half later, the date was July 28th.

The visa should take 5-10 days and in the past it usually takes 5 days. I didn't book my ticket right away just to make sure I had the visa in hand before. Good thing I didn't because I still don't have a visa. I have called so many times I know have the Consulate number memorized (if anyone wants to call and inquire about my visa you can call 1-416-920-3809 then press 2 for service in English and the Visa department ext. is 243...haha). I leave countless messages and NOTHING. I received a call back last week Thursday and she said either Friday or Monday. Well it is now Monday night and NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I called today again left a message, called back spoke to a receptionist who kindly told me to wait.

So here I am ready to go, my bags mostly packed, ticket waiting to be reserved. Unfortunately with no passport or visa in hand I shall sit here and wait, cross my fingers and pray.

No comments: